Q & A

Do I need a permit?

A permit is required for:

  • New construction
  • Replacement or alteration of plumbing, mechanical, electrical and structural systems
  • Driveway approach and replacement
  • Fences if location, height and material changes
  • Roofing
  • Signs
  • Carports
  • Accessory structures such as storage sheds, shops and detached garages over 120 square feet 

Where on my property am I allowed to erect a structure? 

Each lot may be different depending on zoning and Right of Way line. An accessory structure may not be allowed on your particular property. It is best to call and provide lot information to get a correct answer. 

How big of an accessory structure can I build? 

Any building under 240 square feet can be located anywhere on the property as long as it is not on a permanent foundation. Structures over 240 square feet must be approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission. If granted approval, the structure must be on a permanent foundation. 

How can I report a code enforcement issue that I have? 

Code enforcement issues can be called in to City Hall during regular business hours or can be submitted via our website 24 hours a day. 

I want to re-zone my property. What do I need to do? 

The first step is to contact the Community Development Office and obtain an application to re-zone. The staff will then schedule your case to go before the Planning & Zoning Commission. From there, the City Council will hear your case. 

I’m going to have a temporary portable storage unit. Do I need a permit for that? 

Yes. Before placing a PTSU (portable temporary storage unit) on your property, an application must be filed and the owner of the property where the PTSU is to be located or the person, firm or a company furnishing the PTSU, must receive a permit from the city. Permits will be granted for a period of 90 days. 

What is the definition of a junked vehicle? 

Any vehicle which is wrecked, dismantled, partially dismantled, inoperative, deteriorated, decayed, lacking necessary repairs or maintenance, abandoned, bearing no state license plate or bearing a state license plate that is more than three months out of date, discarded, stored or parked outside of an enclosed building on the premises of a motor vehicle repair facility for a period of more than 30 days. 

Can I have horses? 

The ordinance states you can have 2 horses/domesticated farm animals per acre. You must have one (1) acre minimum; to have more there must be another full acre (1/2 and 3/4 acres do not count towards lot size requirements to add animals). This does not apply to areas zoned Agricultural, which can have up to five (5) farm animals per acre.

My neighbor has high grass/weeds. What can I do? 

Grass/weeds must be 12 inches high to be a violation. This is state law, as well as city ordnance.

How long can a vehicle sit without being driven? 

There is no ordinance requiring a vehicle to be driven every day or even weekly. 

Can my neighbor park in the grass? 

By ordinance, you are allowed, in the front building line, to park in the driveway, and on one side of the driveway or the other, parallel to the driveway, within 10 feet. You cannot park on both sides of the drive, nor in the middle of the yard, nor diagonally nor at a right angle to the drive.

What forms of payment are available to pay for permits, licenses, and cemetery lots?

The City accepts cash, checks, VISA or Mastercard.

How much are contractor(s) licenses?

  • Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical Contractor(s) - $100 Initially/$30 Renewal. Must fill out application and provide copy of State License card.
  • Building, Cement, Fence Contractor(s) - $25 Initially/$25 Renewal.
  • Sign Contractor - $75 Initially/ $75 Renewal.

How much do cemetery lots cost?

  • $350.00 for Bethany Residence (City of Bethany city limits)
  •  $2,250.00 for Non-Bethany Residence

Who do we see to purchase a cemetery lot?

A staff member from the Public Works Department will meet customers at the cemetery to help them pick out lot(s). The customer will then come to City Hall with documentation that shows their cemetery information (legal description of lot(s), name, address, phone number) and make payment for the chosen cemetery lot(s).

Who opens and closes a grave for funerals?

The opening and closing of a grave is handled through the funeral home